- Full training offered - gain a nationally-recognised qualification and get paid £300 to train!
- Freelance rate: Between £104 - £133 per job. Work 2 - 5 days per week.
- Deadline for applications: Monday 30th May 2022 at 9 am.
- Click here to download the Freelance Job Pack and Application Form.
- £104 - £133 per job.
- Get paid £300 to train with us.
- Discounts on refurbished bikes.
- Free cycle training and an annual bike check-up.
- Discounted Endura cycle clothing.
National Standard Cycle Instructor Information
Please note, all this information can also be found in the Job Packs. You can download them by clicking on the link at the top of this page.
This is an exciting time in the world of cycle training and Bikeability Delivery. The Government is now channelling huge investment into helping more children and adults to get cycling through its “Bikeability for All” programme.
Your role will be to support and encourage young cyclists to gain confidence and practical skills for riding on the road. Inspired by your enthusiasm, they will feel empowered to give cycling a go – and keep going as they discover how fun and freeing it can be.
You will play a key role in helping your community to thrive, giving the next generation access to this low-cost, healthy and ‘green’ form of transport. In turn, you will end each day having helped young people to progress on their cycling journey – unlocking all the benefits along the way. And to recognise your fantastic achievement, we'll pay you £300 to train with us!
This role is to deliver Bikeability and Bikeability Plus training to children in schools to the high standards of quality and care that our clients expect from Life Cycle UK.
- Delivery of Bikeability and Bikeability Plus Modules.
- Completion of all Bikeability paperwork including; session plans, risk assessments, course registers, progression tracker and incident reports.
- Regular personal and peer reflection on training delivered.
- Uploading results onto our database.
- Mentoring and observation of new instructors.
- Taking part in regular CPD opportunities.
- Participating in and contributing to team meetings.
This post requires effective communication with riders, schools, parents, other instructors and members of Life Cycle UK’s wider team through referrals to other projects that can support the rider’s progression and interests.
Note: This job description is for guidance only. You will be expected to undertake activities as required in order to help the charity develop and increase its social impact.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be a competent urban cyclist. We can further develop your skills if needed.
- Willing to work outdoors all year round.
- Friendly, tolerant, outgoing and able to empathise with the challenges that young people may experience.
- Good organisational and computer skills: Basic Microsoft Excel skills; able to use our online portal to manage your jobs and regularly report back to the office.
- Good listener and have excellent communication skills.
- Punctual, reliable and trustworthy.
- Able to pass an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS).
- Have experience in coaching, training or instructing roles with children and young people (e.g. helping with a football team, swimming, after school club, guides/scout groups).
- A First Aid qualification.
- Basic bicycle maintenance skills.
Pathway to Becoming a Cycling Instructor
Online via this page.
2. Interview and Skills Test
Interview via video call (or in-person). The skills test must take place in person.
3. Cycling Instructor Training
We offer the 1st for 4sport Level 2 Course as a mixture of in-person and online learning. This normally costs £750, but the training is covered by a bursary, funded by the Bikeability Trust. Plus, we'll pay you £300 to train with us! All we ask is you pay a refundable deposit of £100, to be paid back once you start working. The practical training takes place in Bristol.
Payment of your £300 training bonus will be awarded once you qualify (after completing Module 11 of the training e-portfolio).
4. Start Working as a Cycling Instructor
Your £100 training deposit will be returned to you after you have delivered 10 courses for Life Cycle UK.
5. Six-Month Post Course Assessment
After you have delivered approximately 72 hours of training, you will be assessed ‘on the job’ and if you pass, gain your full 1st4Sport qualification.
Deadline: Monday 30th May 2022 at 9 am.
Shortlisted candidates will then be contacted for an interview and skills test.
Start date: We are looking to have a candidate in-post as soon as possible.
For an informal chat about this role please email your name and a contact phone number to: email@example.com or call us on 0117 353 4580.