City & Guilds - Level 2 Cycle Mechanic Courses
Life Cycle UK offers part time, accredited 10-day courses that teach bike mechanics to City & Guilds "Level 2 Cycle Mechanic" standard - the industry standard qualification for professional mechanics.
Who is it for?
Anyone working in the bike industry who wants a recognised qualification or experienced home mechanics looking to take their knowledge to the next level.
What does it cover?
- Day 1 - Workshop induction, health & safety, tyres tubes and punctures
- Day 2 - Brakes: remove, replace & configure V-brakes, Cantilever and Dual Pivot rim brake assemblies. Introduction to cable and hydraulic disc brakes
- Day 3 - Gears: remove, replace & configure derailleurs, chain, cassette/freewheel, chain set, cables and shifters
- Day 4 - Hub bearings: remove, replace & service loose and cartridge bearings
- Day 5 - Bottom brackets (adjustable, cartridge & external); cranks; facing bottom brackets
- Day 6 - Headset assembly & servicing; facing & reaming the headtube
- Day 7 - Wheel Building (Part 1: theory and practice)
- Day 8 - Wheel Building (Part 2: build and assessment)
- Day 9 - Accessory fitting & systematic bike check
- Day 10 – Full bike re-build & final assessments
Each area will be assessed as we cover it. On completion of all assessments, you will achieve a City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Cycle Mechanics (3902-28).
"The course was excellent in all aspects and exceeded my expectations. The pace was perfect, practical examples were first class and demystified a lot of technical issues. The instructor's previous teaching experience shone throughout." - Martin
What should you bring?
We will supply overalls, gloves, workstands, bikes to work on, comprehensive teaching notes and all tools. As this is a proper qualification, you will be expected to wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) throughout the course. All learners will also get a free copy of the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair to take away.
For more details, see Frequently Asked Questions.
£1,100 per place.
We deliver the course 2 days per week over 5 consecutive weeks at our fully equipped workshop in Bristol.
Upcoming course dates are listed below. Click on the title to book.