City & Guilds - Level 2 Cycle Mechanic Courses
Our professionally accredited City & Guilds Level 2 course teaches the essential skills for mechanical excellence. Anyone who wants to be successful in the bicycle industry should have this qualification on their CV. This course is also ideal for confident home mechanics who want to take their skills to the next level.
About the courseLife Cycle UK offers part time, accredited 8 day courses that teach bike mechanics to City & Guilds "Level 2 Cycle Mechanic" standard - the industry standard qualification for professional mechanics.
Who is it for?
Anyone working in the bike industry who wants a recognised qualification or experienced home mechanics looking to take their knowledge to the next level.
What does it cover?
- Workshop induction, health & safety, tyres tubes and punctures
- Brakes: remove, replace & configure V-brakes, Cantilever and Dual Pivot rim brake assemblies. Introduction to cable and hydraulic disc brakes
- Gears: remove, replace & configure derailleurs, chain, cassette/freewheel, chain set, cables and shifters
- Hub bearings: remove, replace & service loose and cartridge bearings
- Bottom brackets (adjustable, cartridge & external); cranks; facing bottom brackets
- Headset assembly & servicing; facing & reaming the headtube
- Wheel Building (Part 1: theory and practice)
- Wheel Building (Part 2: build and assessment)
- Accessory fitting & systematic bike check
- Full bike re-build & final assessments
Each area will be assessed as we cover it. On completion of all assessments, you will achieve a City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Cycle Mechanics (3902-28).
"The course was excellent in all aspects and exceeded my expectations. The pace was perfect, practical examples were first class and demystified a lot of technical issues. The instructor's previous teaching experience shone throughout." - Martin
What should you bring?
We will supply overalls, gloves, workstands, bikes to work on, comprehensive teaching notes and all tools. As this is a proper qualification, you will be expected to wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) throughout the course. All learners will also get a free copy of the Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair to take away.
For more details, see Frequently Asked Questions.
£1,100 per place. Book online, below. Either pay in full today or pay a deposit and we will get in touch to discuss a payment plan. All bookings must be paid for in full well in advance before the course start date to secure your place.
We can also set up an invoice to be paid before the start of the course (please call/email to arrange). .
We deliver the course 2 days per week over 4 consecutive weeks at our professionally-equipped workshop in Bristol.We are hoping to commence City & Guilds Level 2 courses at our sister workshop in Derby. If you are interested in booking, please use the Expression of Interest form at the bottom of this page.
Upcoming course dates are listed below. Click on the title to book. Can't find a date that suits you? Want to learn in Derby? Scroll down to fill out our Expression of Interest form.
Expression of interest C&G level 2