Our City & Guilds Cycle Mechanics courses are taught by expert mechanics tutors in a relaxed and inspiring learning environment. Our accredited training centre is located in Derby city centre, close to bus and train links and with free car parking - making us the perfect destination for aspiring and working bike mechanics across the East Midlands and beyond. Book your space on our City & Guilds Bike Maintenance courses, here.
“I wanted to start a career in the cycle industry and Life Cycle’s Level City & Guilds course seemed like the perfect way to kick off that journey. The course is empowering; fascinating and fun! No matter what you’re planning to do next, you will take so much away from the course" - Joey, City & Guilds graduate.
City & Guilds Level 1 Cycle Mechanics
Our professionally accredited City & Guilds Level 1 course is the best way to start your journey into the world of bicycle mechanics. Ideal for those looking to enter the cycling industry or for people who cycle as part of their job. Of course, we welcome keen home mechanics too! Our two-day, intensive bike mechanics course builds confidence and fundamental understanding in four key areas:
- Rim brake removal/re-fitting and adjusting
- Derailleur gear system removal/re-fitting and tuning
- Puncture repair from start to finish
- Comprehensive safety checking
Courses will be taught in small classes by qualified City & Guilds tutors. The course is £275 and all current available course dates are shown here.
"Employing somebody who knows about cycle maintenance is fairly easy. But employing a qualified, competent technician who can legitimise our insurance needs - and give the customers the peace of mind they deserve - is difficult. Life Cycle's City & Guilds training is creating proper bicycle mechanics, not just enthusiasts" - David Mckinven, YoBike UK Operations Manager.
City & Guilds Level 2 Cycle Mechanics
Our professionally accredited City & Guilds Level 2 course teaches the essential skills for mechanical excellence. Anyone who wants to be successful in the bicycle industry should have this qualification on their CV. This course is also ideal for confident home mechanics who want to take their skills to the next level. Our part-time, eight-day courses teaches bike mechanics to the industry-standard for professional mechanics. We cover:
- Workshop induction, health and safety.
- Tyres tubes and punctures.
- Brakes: remove, replace and configure V-brakes, Cantilever and Dual Pivot rim brake assemblies.
- Introduction to cable and hydraulic disc brakes.
- Gears: remove, replace and configure derailleurs, chain, cassette/freewheel, chainset, cables and shifters.
- Hub bearings: remove, replace and service loose and cartridge bearings.
- Bottom brackets (adjustable, cartridge and external); cranks; facing bottom brackets.
- Headset assembly and servicing; facing & reaming the headtube.
- Wheel Building Part 1: theory and practice.
- Wheel Building Part 2: build and assessment.
- Accessory fitting and systematic bike check.
- Full bike re-build and final assessments.
Courses will be taught in small classes by qualified City & Guilds tutors. The course is £1250 and available course dates are now open for booking below.
Sign up below for updates
If you'd like to be the first to know when new details come out about our courses, or you'd like to express an interest in attending a course, please fill out our short form below.