A quick note on riding during COVID-19 conditions
At the time of writing (23rd April 2020) people are being encouraged to leave the house for exercise once a day - provided it is either alone or with people from their household.
We hope that anyone who wants to cycle is able to. We understand that there may be some confusion about what is allowed under Government guidelines - and what is safe, depending on your health status. Our advice is:
Finally, please remember to leave at least two meters between yourself and anyone else at all times. This will mean hanging back or even stopping to allow a safe space to be maintained.
Now here's the ride...
River Avon Trail (plus three parks to stop and explore)
Easy, a few small sections on-road, but mostly flat and off road
Bristol Temple Meads
This is an easy ride following the River Avon Trail from Temple Meads along the river Avon.
- Cycle from the back of Temple Meads (or under Cattle Market Bridge) to Feeder road.
- Follow the river until you get to the bridge on your right. Turn right and cross road to the left into Netham Park. Lock your bike up and explore this big green space.
- Follow the shared path through the edge of the park, cross over the road and continue along the river to Crew's Hole. Another opportunity to lock your bike up and take a hike up Troopers Hill to see some amazing views across the city.
- Back on the bike and continue to the final park, Conham River Park, where you can lock your bike and have a wander in the woods, check out the bat cave or pick some nettles (wear gloves!) to make a delicious Nettle and Honey cake (we added a lemon icing and it was yum).
- If you want to go a bit further, you can cycle on past Conham Park to Hanham Lock (path is a lot narrower here and uneven - not suitable for slick tyres). Lock your bike up and enjoy a circular walk. To return, reverse route.
Some parts of the route use shared pathways, which can make keeping two meters away from everyone a bit tricky. Please slow down or stop until there is space to take a wide berth around people walking / other cyclists, etc.
Ride safe everyone - and please only ride solo or with people from your household.
Don't have a bike?
We are selling our refurbished bikes online. Collection only from our Bristol workshop. Browse our bikes now.